At The Old Rep we are always looking for driven and creative individuals to join our team. A passionate and collaborative team is essential to the theatre’s success.
Theatre Technician (BOA Group)
We are looking for a Theatre Technician to join a dynamic department that is responsible for the preparation and smooth running of Stage, Lighting and Sound for our programme; which consists of BOA productions, Touring Productions and Amateur Productions in both The Old Rep Theatre and Birmingham Ormiston Academy Theatre.
Main Activities & Responsibilities:
- To provide excellent customer service to customers and visitors to The Old Rep and Birmingham Ormiston Academy.
- To install, operate and maintain technical equipment in both venues.
- To ensure the safety, comfort and wellbeing of customers, staff and students at all times.
- To ensure the efficient and safe set-up of all production, events and activities.
- To maintain standards of quality in all areas of work.
- To actively contribute to the running of the Technical Department.
- To oversee, influence and be competently trained on all aspects of Sound, Stage and Lighting for the Venues.
- To set up, programme and operate lighting/sound consoles during production periods, rehearsals and performances and function at an advanced level. Assist where appropriate in research and development activities relating to control platforms.
- The rigging, focusing and operation of all necessary equipment for Old Rep/BOA productions, visiting companies and other events.
- To prepare all equipment in advance, as may be required for productions and special events.
- To investigate appropriate solutions to the demands of the production.
- To help contribute towards the fruition of external and internal creative teams’ visions.
- To take the lead in areas such as fit up’s and de-rigs, building practicals, participation and learning work and other projects.
- To maintain the lighting and sound equipment owned by the company in good safe working condition within your qualifications.
- To ensure the company has sufficient lighting/sound equipment and stock for the smooth operational running of the department.
- To ensure a safe and tidy environment in all working areas within the department and the building.
- To operate within current Health and Safety Regulations and the company’s own Health and Safety Policy as they apply to the Lighting/Sound/Stage Department.
- To take an active role in departmental and company meetings.
- To keep abreast of the advances in technologies and techniques in the industry and look to develop and share your skills with your colleagues.
- To work well with a range of freelance and casual technicians.
- Installation, operation and maintenance of equipment on all productions, conferences, hires, visiting shows and other events as required
- Safe and efficient setting up and running of productions and events in all venues maintaining consistently high production values
- Moving of sets and properties both pre-production and during performances
- Carry out stage, lighting, sound, AV or maintenance duties as required by the Head of Technical Production
- Work to deadlines of production and technical schedules set by the Production Manager and Head of Technical Production
- Provide technical services for conferences, hires and visiting companies as required
- Liaise closely with other staff and work together to promote a safe working environment and positive health and safety culture.
- Undertake any other duties and work on projects as required of the role to support the work of the BOA Group.
Please download the full job description, person specification and application form from the attachments section below.
To apply, please complete an application form and return to:
Contact: Teresa Skeete
Telephone: 0121 359 9345
Closing date for application: Monday 28 January 2019, 9am
Casual Front of House Staff
The role of our Front of House team is to ensure our visitors feel welcome, safe and enjoy their time at The Old Rep. Successful applicants will be required to work across 3 areas of the venue as required. One day you might be on a bar, the next on box office and the next as a steward. You will be responsible for greeting patrons, checking tickets, and ensuring the health and safety and general welfare of patrons, staff and visitors. Cash handling will be required as well as use of the box office system and tills.
We are looking for smart, presentable and helpful individuals to help maintain positive and friendly atmosphere. We pride ourselves in the exemplary customer service skills of our front of House staff therefore candidates should be polite, with a welcoming manner, smart appearance, and excellent communication skills. Previous experience in a customer facing position is preferred but not essential and applicants must be comfortable working as part of a close-knit team.
Please note this is a rolling advertisement. Your application will be kept on file and, if successful, will be invited to interview as and when a vacancy arises.
To apply, please complete an application form and equal opportunities form and return to:
Deputy General manager and Operations Director
The Old Rep
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Old Rep is a theatre for young people and our aim is to encourage this through work based placements. We schedule openings throughout the year and applications for these are always in great demand. For consideration please send your full details, area of interest and your ideal dates to email@example.com