casual duty manager
We are now seeking to appoint an outstanding individual to the post of Casual Duty Manager at The Old Rep Theatre. This is a unique opportunity to support the Front of House leadership of key aspects of this iconic, historic theatre at an exciting time in its development.
Acting as Casual Duty Manager to ensure the smooth running of performances, the building and finances while constantly promoting the theatre’s values, goals and objectives. The chosen candidate will be responsible for ensuring the highest standards of customer care and service within the theatre and will act as Casual Duty Manager during both daytime and evening shifts. They will manage the Front of House team and operational matters relating to the front of house including the bar and catering areas.
The academy is looking for a candidate to:
- Establish a visible and accessible management profile throughout the theatre when Duty Managing, in order to foster good relations and to provide support, advice and assistance to students, staff, producers, artists and visitors.
- Act as the first point of contact for all patrons by ensuring there is a visible Duty Management presence on all Incoming, Intervals and Outgoing.
- Supervise shows, corporate events.
- Act as Casual Duty Manager on a rota basis; working evenings, weekends and bank holidays.
- Manage procedures to ensure that all front of house areas are kept clean and tidy at all times and that regular checks of public areas are undertaken and findings acted upon.
- Ensure a welcoming environment and ambience is created at all times by means of cleanliness, tidiness, correct music, lighting and heating, wherever possible, within the constraints of the venue.
- Maximise income on all areas front of house, including in-house and touring merchandise.
- Complete the internal show report, as required by the Hospitality Managers.
- Complete administration relating to the post, as required. Including, but not limited to, sales data collection, input and analysis, reporting, banking collation and creation of basic signage for retail promotions.
- Liaise with visiting managements’ merchandise sellers to ensure that the Theatre’s commission is accounted for and received.
- Ensure employees are aware and adhere to all Company policies including, but not limited to, the cash handling procedures, security, radio protocol, social network, and data protection
- Pay particular attention to areas of maintenance likely to cause accidents and report maintenance issues via the theatre maintenance form in a suitably timely manner.
- Adhere to and carry out emergency and evacuation procedures including all relevant training, drills and briefings. Responsibility, when on duty, of all staff, volunteers, public and contractors to ensure their safety at all times.
- Manage keys and issuing, so as to ensure the safety and security of the Theatre’s buildings, effects and personnel.
- Monitor cash handling procedures, banking and reconciliation of all front of house income.
- Ensure the public operations conform to all appropriate legal and regularity controls and measures which are related to any area of the post holder’s accountabilities.
- Ensure adequate first aid arrangements. Undertake training and development relevant to the successful execution of the job role.
- Any other related duties and responsibilities as may reasonably, from time to time, be required by the General Manager or Executive Director
In order to be considered for this post you will need to evidence and demonstrate:
- Experience of managing a team and to work as part of a team ideally within a theatre or live event venue.
- A passion for delivering excellent customer service.
- Evidence of managing a large number of members of the public.
- Literacy, computer literacy and numeracy appropriate to the requirements of the post.
- Understanding of Health and Safety legislation pertaining to a public building.
- Knowledge of Fire Evacuation procedures.
- High level communication skills and excellent manner when dealing with the public, stakeholders and industry/education colleagues.
- An ability to be flexible to business needs and to understand the vision, values and objectives of the venue.
- Available to work evenings, weekends and bank holidays as and when required.
- An ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure.
- Enthusiasm for live theatre and entertainment, together with the Old Rep and its objectives.
- A good sense of humour.
- Desirable First Aid Certificate.
- Knowledge of ticketing systems.
This job description sets out the duties at the time of drafting. The job description may be amended from time to time without incurring a change in the grading of the post.
Applications close: Friday 27 May, 9am